Cuba prohibited an opposition march scheduled for November 15, denouncing a «provocation», and said that its promoters have ties with Washington to promote a regime change on the island, according to an official communication.
«The promoters and their public projections, as well as the links of some with subversive organizations or agencies financed by the US government, have the manifest intention to promote a change in the political system in Cuba, «says the response to a request to carry out that march published on the official site.
The demonstration announced in Havana, «whose organizational scheme is conceived simultaneously for other territories of the country, constitutes a provocation as part of the regime change strategy «for Cuba, adds the answer that highlights the constitutional and» irrevocable «character of the Cuban socialist system.
The same response was given both in Havana and in the other six (out of 15) provinces of the island (Holguín, Cienfuegos, Pinar del Río, Las Tunas, Santa Clara and Guantánamo) where authorization had been requested for a demonstration «against violence» and for the «change».
Three women with symbolic posters against the opposition and playwright Yunior García. Photo EFE
The call for the march, launched in September, was reproduced on social networks Appealing to article 56 of the new Constitution, approved in 2019, which recognizes the right to assembly, demonstration and association for lawful and peaceful purposes.
But «the exercise of people’s rights is only limited by the rights of others, collective security, the general welfare, respect for public order, the Constitution and the laws, «the authority refuted.
Uncertainty on the go awaits the decision to be made the opposition regarding the call to manifest.
Asked in Havana what he was going to do now that the protest was banned, the playwright Yunior García He said that they are going to «consult the members of the Archipelago (an opposition group that organizes the demonstration), we are going to have a meeting» to decide the way forward.
«To demonstrate is a right, they told us that they are not going to respect that right despite the fact that it is a human right and despite the fact that it is in the Constitution, they have told us that our request is illegal,» García declared when leaving a meeting with The authorities.
García, organizer of the demonstration in the capital and leader of the Archipelago, regretted the accusations on US financing.
«Anything that the Cuban does, they will always say that someone in Washington came up with it, it is as if we did not think, we Cubans have no brains. «
Several police officers from a special brigade are transported by vehicle in Havana (Cuba). Photo EFE
«Any sensible Cuban wants change for the betterAny sensible Cuban wants there to be more democracy in Cuba, for there to be more progress, for there to be more freedom, in every sense, «he added.
The Cuban government, which denies the existence of political prisoners in Cuba, considers the opposition that it accuses of being financed by Washington as illegal.
Initially, the Archipelago had called the march for November 20, but last Friday it announced that it would advance it to the 15th because the government decided last week to declare that same day the «National Defense Day».
«We don’t want violenceWe do not want the Cubans to confront each other and we could not launch the protesters to confront an army in the street that could react violently, «Garcia said.
The «most sensible thing was to advance the march» to the 15th, when Cuba is scheduled to reopen to international tourism. Visitors will be able to walk the streets of the island and Cubans can then exercise their rightshe added.
The antecedent of the march is in the unprecedented protests of July 11 and 12 in fifty Cuban cities, which left one dead, dozens of wounded and hundreds of detainees.
These spontaneous demonstrations, unprecedented since the triumph of the 1959 revolution, took place shouting «We are hungry», «Down with the dictatorship» and «Freedom». in the framework of a severe economic crisis, the worst in 30 years.
Since then, several dissident personalities have been detained, such as José Daniel Ferrer and Luis Manuel Otero Alcántara, who have been imprisoned since July 11. Other opponents such as Manuel Cuesta Morua, Guillermo Fariñas and Berta Soler were released within hours of their arrests, after being warned of their call for a demonstration.